As the risk of identity theft continues to rise, IBMSECU strives to offer valuable services that will help you prevent or reduce the effects of this threat.
We know that millions of people become victims of identity theft each year, in which credit, financial, employment and even personal asset problems can arise. Members with myDefense Checking, Grand Checking, or VIP Checking include Identity Theft Services, which provide you vital protection from the devastating effects of identity theft and give you real help when you need it.
If you are the victim of identity theft for any reason, you will have a certified, U.S. based Recovery Advocate assigned to work with you one-on-one to develop a plan of action and restore your identity to pre-event status, no matter how long it takes.
Your Recovery Advocate will:
- Assist in placing fraud alerts on the three major credit bureaus
- Review your credit report and other records to identify the extent of fraudulent activity
- Work to remediate all fraudulent transactions, false accounts, and/or contracts signed
- Support law enforcement as they work to stop the criminal(s) using your identity
- Follow up with you for 12 months
And, unlike other identity theft recovery programs, Fully Managed Identity Theft Recovery does not require you to prove identity theft before utilizing the research and recovery services. If identity theft is ever suspected for any reason you have access to a Recovery Advocate and their services.
Members with myDefense Checking, Grand Checking, or VIP Checking accounts are also eligible to activate an entitlement to three bureau credit monitoring with daily alerts of any changes to your credit file which may signal identity theft. The entitlement applies to eligible individuals age 18 and older who have a valid credit file. For details including activation instructions visit our website at ibmsecu.org or call 800.873.5100.
Take steps now to protect your personal information:
- Secure your Social Security Number - only share this information when necessary
- Don’t respond to unsolicited requests for your personal information by phone, mail, or online
- Change your password and email combinations for online services frequently
- Store personal information in a safe place at home and work
- Shield keypads when typing your passwords on ATMs and credit card machines
- Review your credit report once a year to ensure no unauthorized accounts have been opened
- Review bank statements for any unauthorized charges
- Collect mail promptly and put it on hold if you are away from home for several days
Fully Managed Identity Theft Recovery can give you the peace of mind you need. For more information, call 800.873.5100.